Vocational Education: Vocationalisation of education should not be equated with mere technical training. It makes it more likely for an individual to get a job or be his own master by either starting a new productive activity or a service that may satisfy a felt need of the community.
The UNESCO Report (1974)
The UNESCO Report (1974) defines Vocationalisation of education as a “comprehensive term embracing those aspects of the educational process involving, in addition to general education, the study of technologies and related sciences and the acquisition of practical skills, attitudes.
Understanding and knowledge relating to occupations in the various sectors of economic and social life.”
In order to shape and mold the personality of pupils, to reduce the level of unemployment and underemployment
end to accord certain financial supports to suit the interest, ability, attitude and aptitude of .pupils there is the urgency of the vocational education.
As such, in a country like India, The Vocationalisation of Higher Secondary (+2) stage aims at increasing employment. Potential of the people through education for self·employment,agriculture-education, agro. related occupations including small-scale industries, and cottages Thus, it is more concerned with the internal transformation of the educational system so as to relate to the lite, needs, and aspirations of the people.
Needs and Importance of Vocational Education
- The Vocationalisation of education tries to utilize manpower to the fullest extent as it is the requirement of the nation. is related to life and As a result, the unemployment problem is reduced to a great extent. and skilled man is quite adjustable to modern society. A technically qualified facility.
- It also helps with the quantitative expansion of education.
- It accelerates the process of qualitative improvement.
- It is related to economic benefits. It increases productivity which leads to the economic prosperity of the people and the country at large.
- It suits the individual aptitudes. We do not know our aptitudes because general education does not provide any scope for the recognition and development of aptitudes.
- It enables us to move towards equitable sharing of benefits of economic development and social justice.
- It is needed to provide adequate preparation for middle-level vocations. For this, good quality of general education with vocational training will serve the purpose.
- It is needed to prepare not only highly skilled technicians but also skilled men to work in farms, factories, trade centers, and commercial establishments.
- It aims at improving the general academic attainment with certain skills needed for employment without closing doors to further education while in employment.
- It leads to an understanding of the scientific and technological aspects of contemporary civilization in such a way that they comprehend, their environment critically and constructively.
- It utilizes the material resources and human resources of the nation to an optimum extent.
- It provides a user experience for the inculcation of the spirit of respect for labor.
- It prepares the individual to realize his own potential within the framework of economic development to which the individual contributes.
- It helps a great deal towards the solution of the problem of unemployment.
- It is the only hope for the average and below-average students.
- It reduces and eliminates frustration among the youth resulting from the non-productive and aimless education offered at present.